Sunday 30 January 2011

As to be expected I was at church this morning and also as to be expected I didn´t understand most of it! Yet another chance for me to look holy without actually understanding a word! I did get quite excited when I understood one of the worship songs but since the words were: "celebra cristo celebra. Cristo vive christo vive" I don´t think it was quite such a huge achievement ;) Ah well, plenty of time yet I guess.
   
    The talk was based around Matthew 26:36-46. It´s when Jesus is in the garden of Gesthemane praying and the disciples fall asleep. The preacher showed a tv ad where various people are texting, on the phone etc when driving and cause crashes. The line was "good drivers just drive". He went on to say how this is a lesson for us in life; we mustn´t be distraced by "things." Keep your eyes on God. Stay alert and focussed on God-it is only then that you will be on the right path and make the right choices.
  
   The actual talk was over an hour so he went into a lot more depth but I go lost after that point. I didn´t want to nod off (like last week!) so I kept on re-reading the passage. In  my transltion it said that Jesus was sorrowful and afraid. This made me think. Jesus was scared....scared! When you go for an interview or exam you´re scared but there is always the tiny comfort that it will be over soon. Once you start the exam you get into the "moment" and usually are too busy to be scared. Jesus had no such comfort. He was afraid and He knew it would just get worse. What was He facing? The ultimate separation from God,Agonising pain, horribly slow death, parting from family, public degradation and humiliation. These are our worst fears, there can be nothing worse but He faced them. And He faced them alone because His family weren´t there and His friends abandoned Him. 
  
   We often feel alone when we´re troubled but usually we do have friends or family around us if we turn to them but Jesus didn´t: 

Jesus was alone and scared so what did He do? He prayed!! He turned to God and sought His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment