Thursday 7 April 2011

a mixety maxty week

wow, you have no idea what  a fight I've had to get the internet and log on here! If you can read this then it is a MAJOR achievement believe me!!!

  What to tell you? Mmmm well let me see-I've started work! It is hard work but good. I've only been here for 4 days but already I can see how valuable the school is. These kids are poor, some live in the shanty towns and they just don't have any medical care. As far as I know only 3 of them have even been diagnosed as disabled. I haven't worked before with groups of children quite like these before so I don't know what to do. I'm worried that I might hurt or scare the kids. Some are big & strong-will they hurt me? Can they understand what I'm saying? Are they capable of doing what I say? A lot of questions and doubts! I'm not too worried though, it's only been 4 days! Hopefully, I'll pick it up as I go along.


   A great bit of news for me today. I've just received another £250. Oh happy day! This is particularly great since I extended my stay by a month and it was looking as though I might run out of money. God willing, this should cover me for the last month. Isn't that wonderful the way it all worked out?


  A quick pause while I treat myself to a cup of "real" tea. Ooops nearly put Avena in my tea instead of milk!


  Yesterday I went to Laura Flores for a meeting and to do some house visits. Only one house I went to had a roof on! This in a city where we had 12 hours of torrential rain yesterday :( There, life is totally different to what I know. The children have no shoes and they live on a rubbish tip so they all have worms and all sorts of illnesses and infections. I had a horrible shock when I was visiting a family and saw a toddler playing with a kitchen knife! 6 inch long sharp blade and nobody cared. At the same house a pile of wood fell on top of a little girl (thankfully she wasn't injured) but her parents weren't bothered. Life is different and it is very hard for me to not speak out and say lots of angry things to some of these people.


  On the brighter side whilst in L Flores there was a political rally. The ex president is trying to kick out the current guy. He was campaigning yesterday and we met him. Got my hand shaken twice and was highly honoured to received a promotional box of matches lol. I am the envy of the locals!


  My family here are fine and I'm settling in. It's official, I am no longer a veggie. I've had to eat chicken a couple of times and I think I may have had duck for lunch. I keep expecting something terrible to happen to me but it doesn't. I just find it hard (and weird) to eat meat after 18 years of abstinence. It feels so wrong :(


  My mum has been ill this week and it's hard being here and not at home. I can't nag her to see the doctor or look after her. I missed Mothers Day too! I'm not homesick but it is hard to be away from my family. I would love to see them. I don't know how long term missionaries manage. I sometimes think that may be my calling but I'm not sure I could cope without my family for years at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vicky,

    Wow. You are having such a lot to take in. I think your attitude towards your fears regarding dealing with the children is right. You know you have people here praying for you so thanks for letting us know what to pray for. Your ability to know what to do, I'm sure will come with time and just letting God lead you.

    I'm so sorry to hear that your mum has been ill. I haven't seen her for a while because I haven't been round to your house since you left. I'll have to get in touch with her. I hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete