Sunday 20 March 2011

Santo Domingo

My weekend is going really well, in fact I'm staying over an extra night and returning tomorrow.

      Yesterday I was driven down by Katie. I visited the school (for disabled kids) and walked into town and had luch with Jill. Afterwrds we had  tea and had a long talk. Most productive; we've vaguely mapped out the work I'll do here and set a date for my coming! School re-opens on Monday 4th April so I'll start then. Only 10 more days in Quito!!! No more post to Quito please! Today I've met the pastor and his family who'll I'll be living with. Was publicly introduced and presented to the church this morning and met tonnes of important people. This afternoon I went to Laura Flores to do a house visit, assist in sunday school and get a feel for the place. Quite productive I'd say!!!

   Guess what? I've eaten chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that I'm moving here I cannot be a veggie. Thought it best to try meat whilst with symathisers. Feels weird to actually eat the stuff after 17 years of strict abstinence.

 Laura Flores is....well...dreadful is the word I'd choose. Filthy, dark, and over crowded slum. No running water, people live in hovels, and don't get me started on sanitation or lack thereof. Family we visited lived in 2 rooms-4 kids under the age of 5 and their eldest daughter has left to become a prostitute in Quito. Other
family had their son murdered. Apparently there death by violence is frequent and fairly normal. Girls are all pregnant at 14. Just tragic!

No comments:

Post a Comment