Sunday 29 May 2011

testing, testing, are you receiving me?

Hello,
        After months of writing here and getting no comments, followers or feedback I was beginning to think nobody was out there! I confess that I got a bit depressed and had a little moan and was told that actually quite a few people read this but can't write comments etc. I know I sound like a mad alien conspiracy person but it's good to know there's "life out there"!


   My week has been good. Recently my life here has really "blossomed". My friendships are developing and I'm doing a lot more social things; going out for meals, cinema, playing on a PS and even karaoke! New opportunities for work are opening up. No idea when yet but I've been asked to help with a support&counselling group for prostitutes and abused women. Also hoping to start at PEPE very soon (pre school classes for shanty town kids.)


    Today, for the first time, I managed to understand the whole service-including all the songs, readings and SERMON!!!!!!!!!! AS you can imagine this is a huge breakthrough for me. I am soo pleased. We have some American missionaries working here in Santo for a couple of weeks. My goodness me but 30 6ft tall, burly Americans can fill up the place ;) Watching them struggle to understand conversations, look doubtfully at the food and generally look lost made me realise how much I've progressed. Hugging and greeting people in church, gossiping with friends and making plans to go out-I suddenly realised that I feel as though I belong.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Well done you with how much Spanish you've picked up AND for completely understanding your first service. It's great to hear that things are going really well and also that work opportunities are making themselves known. It will be really interesting to learn more about the work at PEPE.

    Over and out :)

    ReplyDelete