Sunday 8 May 2011

a goodnight kiss

Today is Dia de Madres (Mothers day.) Instead of the usual 2 services in church we had one big joint service at 9. I was a bit confused as to why 9? After all if there is only going to be 1 service why not make it 10 or 11? Well, I now know! The service was about 2 and a half hours long!!! On top of usual worship, Bible reading and talk we had love songs sung to the women, a drama, several poems, special "mum" themed prayer sessions and 7 people got up and spoke about their mothers! It was EPIC. Long but lovely. Obviously the service was very special for everyone even the church had been decorated with balloons and streamers.

At the end we were urged to go and hug our mothers and have a lovely day. A lady asked me whether I was going to hug my mother and I had to reply that it might be a bit difficult since she's several thousand miles away across an ocean!

     I'm sure you can guess what comes next....I want my mummy! I want a hug. We email and write but it isn't the same is it? I miss her advice (even when I ignore it), her very helpful common sense, our mutual love of books, our identical sense of humour and silly private jokes we share.

     I am happy here yes and very well looked after but it isn't the same as having my own home or my family with me. I miss the silly, boring chit chat and the constant cry of "kettles on, do you want a cup?" Plus I miss the physical contact; a passing hug, a cheer you up hug and most of all I hate the fact I don't get a goodnight kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment