Thursday 19 May 2011

the evilness of speaking Spanish

Hi,
    Last weekend most of my family went off to Machala for the weekend leaving me with just the mum. This actually turned out to be a great time for us to get a bit closer. We bonded over a girly afternoon of shopping and manicures! (the hard life of a missionary!)

     I decided to get some layers put into my hair since it was a bit wild and wooly looking. Apparently I said "longa" instead of "largo" when describing what I want and ended with....a disaster! I don't mind getting words wrong but I do resent my hair being made to pay! Lets just say my dearest wish right now is for a hat ;)

  Tomorrow I'm going swimming with some friends. I've been putting this off for weeks but they became quite upset yesterday when I tried to delay it again. I didn't have the nerve to say my objections are because I feel fat & white so tomorrow we go swimming! Swimming costumes are NOT done here so I need to buy shorts to swim in. Why swim in clothes? I love this country but there are times when I just don't understand what on earth is going on and why. Those are the times that call for a vague smile and the ability to just go with the flow.

      Yesterday I  was at the prayer meeting and I had to pray out loud, in Spanish in front of a whole group of people Aaaaaah! Plus I was praying for a womans son who is an alcoholic. I really wanted to comfort her and offer a prayer of strength and healing for her son. I secretly prayed first asking God to inspire my prayer and help me make sense. When my big moment came, I forgot everything I'd planned to say and muttered a few words as quietly as possible. I felt awful! The lovely thing is afterwards the woman came up and hugged and thanked me and we chatted for a while. Was such a sweet moment.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you're clearly picking up the language. I know I can't fully appreciate the difficulties you face on a daily basis with communication but you must have made significant progress and that's great. Whatever words you used when you prayed, your prayer was heard and it meant a lot to the lady.

    It's great to know that you're getting opportunities to build good relationships with people too.

    ReplyDelete