Saturday 19 February 2011

tourism can be brutal

This week Ben, one of the American students from last week, came back and stayed with us. It's been fun to have someone else stay with us. Yesterday, Friday, we went into Quito to do tourist stuff.

  Our first stop was the basilica. It's a weird building because it's a cathedral but it was built for tourists! It isn't actually used as a place of worship at all which is totally bizarre.

 For the princely sum of $2 you can go up the tower and clock tower. This is where I made the HUGE mistake of agreeing to go up! I am scared of heights (evil vertigo) and I am not that energetic to be honest whereas Ben is a professional climber and ENTHUSIASTIC!! The stairs alone nearly killed me, it wasn't until halfway up that I realised there was a lift but Ben refused because that was "boring" (I nearly killed him at that point.) Once you get high enough the stairs run out and you are faced with a walk across the roof then up ladders!! I was not about to let the brave Brits down so I gritted my teeth, smiled for the camera and climbed up. A truly hideous experience that wasn't helped by Ben showing off and jumping off ladders etc! Between fear and exhaustion my legs didn't stop shaking for the rest of the day. I confess that my leg muscles are in serious pain today :(

    We also visited a lovely local park, saw the presidents palace and visited a photo exhibition. I had an interesting moment when walking down the street I heard the sound of a zip go, perhaps from my bagpack? I turned around to find a woman had unzipped my bag and actually had her hand in my bag robbing me! She simply turned around and walked calmly off, cheek! Mind you, she picked the wrong pocket so all she would have got was my mascara.

   After a busy day of walking up hills (I swear Ben did it on purpose) and enjoying myself being a tourist I had the Latin Link meeting on the evening. This is where all the missionaries get together. We are all from different organisations and doing various work but they come together to chat, pray and support each other which is a lovely idea. We had a huge meal, a devotional and then a time of sharing and praying. I would like to ask for prayers for a little girl who was mentioned. One of the ladies, Marie Augusta, runs a school for street children. Last week a little girl J ran away. She has no family or friends to go to. She is alone and only 10, please pray she stays safe and returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment