Thursday 29 September 2011

My work in Laura Flores is the highlight of my week! I always leave exhausted, hot, sweaty and mentally drained but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

On a Wednesday I help out a ladies Bible study group. Here we all are sitting at kids desks and desperately trying to get the right answers. I help a couple of ladies find the right verses and write down the answers. I do this because they've "lost their glasses." First week in my innocence I thought they had actually lost their glasses and laughed that I had too which caused some sharp intakes of breath. It turns out that the need/lost/forgotten glasses excuse is a polite cover up for women who can't read. I now tactfully sympathise and offer to help them until the glasses are found and don't make jokes!

On Thursdays I give massages to the women of LF. I'm in a new room now, a classroom, which still has no windows or privacy and has the public toilet in the same room as me ...but I do have an electric light and no dogs come wondering in.  Hooray! Today I gave a treatment to a disabled girl in a wheelchair. Due to her disability and the fact that she is constantly in her chair her muscles in the legs are contracted and she can't bend her feet or straighten her legs. Plus her mum said that at home she won't let anyone try to work on her and shouts so I'm sure you can understand I was little concerned about massaging her. I was soo thrilled today when she lay peacefully for the whole massage and after treating her, her legs had straightened a lot more :)


My work in Laura Flores is the highlight of my week! I always leave exhausted, hot, sweaty and mentally             drained but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment