Wednesday 29 June 2011

God and I don't always have the same timetable

Well what an afternoon! As you may know I have been struggling recently with work. I am still in the school for disabled children and they certainly keep me on my toes but I also want to do more.


    I was meant to be doing womens' work but the lady who was leading the work has fallen ill so it's been put on hold. The youth group I was going to help out with seems to have stopped meeting! Seems like everything I try hasn't quite worked out. Been praying for guidance and inspiration. Other missionaries say this is quite normal and that now I have to look around, be pro-active and start making opportunities. Wise advice but not something I am used to. Up until now opportunities have come to me and to have to go out and look for work is a confusing, new and scary experience!! I don't think this is something I'm very good at :(


  Last Thursday Jill and I discussed some possible options for me including prayer walking and home visits. On my return from Quito, I gritted my  teeth, took a deep breath and asked my informal Spanish teacher if she'd like to do a prayer walk with me and she agreed! Roll on Wednesday...


   Today came and...I did not want to go out. I have a cold and nasty cough. I've been coughing in a pathetic way but nobody has sympathised with me! I can't pray out loud well in English let alone in Spanish and I felt poorly. To be absolutely honest I was feeling quite petulant and was desperately hoping for an excuse to not go but no genuine excuse turned up.


  I went to my friend and carefully explained my plan to her. Several weeks of practising praying in Spanish and going out for SHORT prayer walks. Once I have built up my confidence then maybe we could start doing house visits to a few lonely and old people. My friend agreed happily and we prayed together. 10 minutes later she stood and said that she'd hurt her knee last week and didn't fancy walking (then why agree?!) so instead we'd go round and do a house visit! WHAT????????????? Before I could argue she swept me out the house, round the corner and into a total strangers house. Comforting myself with the thought that an old, widowed lady would be nice to me plus she'd be alone I stepped inside.


    Well, She was not being visited because she was lonely but because she'd had an entire foot amputated (and yes I saw the wound!) I was still adjusting to that pretty sight when her ENTIRE family turned up to visit her and joined us! Needless to say I was manoeuvred into praying out loud, in Spanish and in front of various people. Not quite what I had planned!


    Several things have happened:
My cough and cold have paled into insignificance compared to that poor lady!


I'm buzzing from the high of having been challenged and survived.


I'm happy because I feel useful.


I've received a subtle hint that my timing isn't always right, possible because God actually is God and I am not!
and...
I've been reminded that God is in charge and He really does make everything work out for the best.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment