Saturday 18 February 2012

Things wot I av learned

I am sitting here on the plane; exhausted but bored. We are refuelling so one very long hour stuck on the plane. Lights on so can’t sleep, no internet so can’t email and have already read half my book. What’s left..mm..thinking?
   What with time differences I will arrive back home in about 24 hours. Lots of time to reflect on all the deep and significant things I’ve learnt over this year. In the spirit of self growth I write this letter to me. (wow don’t I sound grown up?!)
  
  Dear Victoria of 2010,
     Good news; after 30 long years of ghost like paleness you will finally get a tan (take lots of photos!)
  
   Don’t get freaked out by the “flying your corpse back home” insurance bit-you do make it back home alive, yay. Don’t worry about what clothes and shoes to bring out; everything gets mouldy, rots and falls apart in the hunidity (yes you will look rough-get over it!) Don’t worry about “over using” the internet, it’s normal to want to speak to friends & family. Don’t forget to bring chocolate and tea bags-these will buy you friends and make you the most popular missionary in the country.
  
      Do practise a photo pose! Ecuadorians LOVE pictures and want to pose like models; a polite smile won’t be enough. Do pack that box of hair dye, the sun will make you go grey (why does nature hate me?!) Do get every injection the travel clinic recommends even if they are expensive-I don’t want to scare you but you will get seriously ill and those injections are a life saver. Do try to remember to pack sunglasses-nobody with a brain cell turns up to South America without sunglasses!!!!
    
       Relax; this will the most difficult but amazing year of your life. Yes you will change but I think..I hope that’s ok.
               Love
                      V xxx
P.S. Pack tissues-you will cry when you leave Ecuador.

No comments:

Post a Comment