Thursday 2 February 2012

Daily trials

What is my life like on a daily basis? Well mostly I am very lucky; I'm in a house in a safe area. I have regular meals, a shower with hot water and a room of my own. I really shouldn't moan......but...


1. Until last month we had no regular water supply, we had to buy it off a tanker. This meant we frequently ran out of water (usually when I was in the shower with shampoo in my hair!) No water means you can't shower, have no clean clothes and filthy plates lying around.


2. Our gas supply is the good old gas bottle. Nothing wrong with that perhaps until the gas runs out like it did tonight. We had a tiny amount left which meant I had to decide between having a hot water shower and eating a snack or showering in cold water and having a cooked dinner. Which do you choose? Plus the gas somehow doesn't work for washing machines so your clothes get washed in cold water which basically means they aren't really clean ever.


3. No electric kettle. Yes I know that sounds petty but having to boil up the water in a metal kettle or large pot over a gas stove every time you want a hot drink or food gets tiresome.


4. No drinking water. Tap water is not drinkable so you either buy it in huge bottles or you use tap water and boil it (see problems 2 and 3!)


5. Ants! No, not big evil tropical ants but tiny microscopic ones which get everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE! Ants in the shower, in your clothes, in your bed, running all over your laptop and of course in all your food and drink. First 2 weeks when you catch an ant in your food&drink you look disgusted and wonder whether to bin the food. 2 months-you merely sigh, heave the ants out your cup of tea and carry on drinking. 1 year-you search your food for ants and wonder why there isn't any ants? Last week we found ants in my box of cereal; after a long look we decided there was more bran flakes than ants so I kept the packet!

No comments:

Post a Comment